Granville St party times are back!
It’s almost that time again, sunny days wandering Granville street exploring the different food vendors and festivals that set up and entertain us. So fun city (see last post)!
One of my favourites, for a variety of reasons that I’ll explain ;), is the Afro-Brazilian Carnaval put on by Axe Capoeira.
- First off, Brazil! This country infuses fun and colour into everything it does.
- Then there’s the music. The percussion mixes are incredible and this event in particular will have some of the best Brazilian percussionists you’ll ever see. Add a few non-Brazilian instruments to the mix and it’s unique ear candy. My favourite, the fiddle, mixes with traditional Brazilian sounds like peanut butter and chocolate.
- Of course, the dancing! Pulsing percussion and Brazilian rhythms make you want to dance. There’s always an assortment of the traditional Brazilian dances and colourful costumes to dazzle. My favourite is Samba! The Samba parade down Granville will make you feel like you are in Brazil for Carnaval! You will want to join in; don’t worry so much about the steps, the best Samba dancers to watch are not perfect but they exude fun like they are having the time of their lives 🙂
- The food. The street food in Vancouver really is great and vendors have a local twist to traditional favourites. If you have not tried a Brazilian Coxinha, you must.
- And last but not least, Capoeira. You may have seen some capoeira street demonstrations around the city, you may even have trained Capoiera. Either way this Vancouver event always attracts some of the best from around the world so you can expect to see strategic battles peppered with eye popping acrobatics. Maybe even try a class before the event for a little inside scoop on the game at axecapoeira.com.
It all culminates in the most amazing stage show (see axecapoeira.com for updated event schedule).