Road Tripping the BC Kootenay Rockies Hot Springs Circle Route!
We packed up the Jeep, loaded on the rooftop tent and hit the road. The weather gods smiled on us, beautiful September sunny days with cooler nights – great for hot spring soaking under the stars. I used the hellobc.com/drive website as a great resource for planning, although we did do the Hot spring Circle Route backward to make it our own (stops 13 to 1). We alternated camping and hotel stays. Perfect for us city folk who like to pretend we are roughing it. Some of the highlights:
- Paddle boarding Arrow Lake on perfectly glassy water.
- The butter tarts at Rock Creek Trading Post on highway 3.
- Halcyon Hot Springs (we wanted to stay more than a night).
- Whiteswan Lake Provincial Park and Lussier Hot springs.
- Finding the best secret-ish camp ground on Kootenay Lake (it’s not secret if I tell).
- The free BC Ferry trips across the lakes – really the scenery is spectacular.
- Wildlife spotting – Deer, Moose, Bear and so many beautiful birds I don’t know the names of.
- Arrowhead Brewing beer and Kicking Horse Coffee in Invermere.
- Kutenai Chai Tea in Nelson! They have perfected spice with a touch of sweet.
- Pedal and Tap Mucky Fries in Kimberley.
- Our detour to end the trip (and stock up on wine) at Burrowing Owl Estate Winery.